In this blog, I will recount my thoughts and experiences as a Mason. I am, as of this day in January, 2010, barely on the road of Freemasonry. I do not intend to apologize or proselytize for the Masons, nor diminish them either. I merely wish to share what I see. Please check the archives for earlier posts.

Friday, April 16, 2010

16. District Deputy Visits

A regular meeting on Monday. I have wondered if I might exhaust the reader’s interest in goings on, but it strikes me, if not the reader, that the activities and ceremonies that I write about remain intriguing. So I carry on.

This was a regular meeting, as I said. However, when I arrived, it was clear that something was up. A number of brothers who I did not know milled about, and there was a reserved parking space for the District Deputy. I entered thru the kitchen, which was busy, and went upstairs. I was earlier than usual.

I had not witnessed the opening of the Lodge before, but it seemed like there was more activity than usual. Also, more people wore their Jewels, which are pins that represent honors that they have earned. I saw Mike, a Past Master who I have seen at most of the functions that I have attended. He said, Oh,you’re here. I got shook that this was somehow a private affair, and I asked, Is this a regular meeting? He said that it was.

I introduced myself to a stranger, who is from a Lodge in Western Massachusetts. He said that he was moving to town and planning to join the Lodge. I eventually wandered into the Lodge Room and took a seat. Things bustled then the meeting began.

The Worshipful Master mentioned at the card night that he might wear a hat at meetings. The Grand Lodge had suggested that hats be part of the ritual. There he was, then, in a jaunty top hat. He opened the Lodge.

I am glad that I finally witnessed this, it was illuminating. The ritual basically explained the various offices. That was helpful. I really like watching the ritual unfold.

A Masonic meeting must be tiled. That means closed and secured. I donot know where the term comes from.Tiling entails the Senior Warden literally checking the doors to ensure that no one is listening in on secrets. The Tyler sits outside the door to make sure of the same thing. Surely this was more essential in an earlier day, now it is strictly ritual. Masonic secrecy is no longer so dire as it used to be. The secrets are still to be kept, but it is definitely not a life-threatening situation.

This part of the meeting was sparsely attended, and no business beyond the ritual occurred. We then repaired to the dining room. A lot of people were there. We dined and talked until 7:00, when the meeting resumed.

Three candidates were to be entered as Entered Apprentices. I was happy to see the ritual again. The point of ritual,  I think, is in the repetition. One sees more each time. The risk of course is that the ritual becomes thoughtless. If it all becomes rote, it has lost its meaning. I am far from letting that happen.

Because there were fewer than five Candidates, each one got to go through the ritual: there was no Exemplar. This stretched out the ceremony some, but we got to see the different ways each Candidate responded. One Candidate replied to the question of whether he had anything to offer the Lodge (the expected answer is No) with: I have one shoe. Whee!

Eight prospective Candidates were voted on. This entailed the Secretary, Terry, reading their request, which just gives their name, address, employment, and sponsor. I do not know the extent of due diligence applied to new Candidates. I know that a committee investigates each Candidate, but they never discovered that I am actually a SECRET AGENT from an Eastern European country bent on destroying the fabric of American ways and making our wrestling champion the champion of WWE, so I don’t know. I met one of the Candidates at the open house. As far as voting goes, it is super unlikely that I would vote against someone.

This was my first vote, because only Master Masons can vote. The Senior and Junior Deacons, AKA Chris and Andy, brought out the voting boxes. We  lined up and, when our turn came, reached into a box and felt for either the white ball (yea), or black cube (nay). Or was it white cube and black ball…? Well whatever, I voted yea as did everyone else.

After a short recess, the District Deputy and his Suite were invited in. I wondered what the murmur outside the Lodge Room was about. The District Deputy had come for an official visit. The visit went like this:

The Worshipful Master and all the attending Past Masters gathered in a gauntlet at the door. Our District Ambassador then strode jauntily in announcing the District Deputy. In came the District Deputy and an entourage of maybe as many as 20. I do not know how people get into that suite. The people in the suite were Past Masters and Officers from various Lodges.

The District Deputy, with appropriate flourish, named each person in his suite, then they sat down. The District Deputy is the same fellow I have seen at Lodge of Instruction, and he was at Table Lodge. He congratulated the Candidates and spoke elsewise, as well.

In what proved to be a surprise, the District Deputy asked Tom, the Sentinel, to come forward. Tom was presented with the Rookie Award. The Rookie Award is a way to inspire participation in Masonic activities. It is for those who have been Masons for one year or less. I was surprised to learn that Tom only became a Mason in September.

To earn the Rookie Award, one must go to Lodge of Instruction (as a Master Mason) a certain number of times, attend a Masonic funeral, etc etc. Tom was completely surprised to receive the award from the District Deputy’s hand.

Keith, an Associate Steward, was involved in the night’s ritual. I learned the next day on FACEBOOK, that Jim, the Senior Steward (and the person who I worked with at the health fair), was hospitalized. Two Brothers were brought forth as new Associate Stewards.

The meeting ended sometime after 9:00. I will probably attend Cypher Training on Sunday. It is not required but I both enjoy doing this stuff and I need help with the cipher.

No comments: