In this blog, I will recount my thoughts and experiences as a Mason. I am, as of this day in January, 2010, barely on the road of Freemasonry. I do not intend to apologize or proselytize for the Masons, nor diminish them either. I merely wish to share what I see. Please check the archives for earlier posts.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

15.CHIPS Program

This morning I participated in the Billerica Health and Wellness Fair. The Masons participate by running the Child Identification Program. Other organizations and businesses did other things, most of which, to be frank, was simply commercial. It was, at least, a lively event, though I did not peruse too  carefully.

I arrived at 9:00. Things generally were just starting to be set  up. I saw no familiar faces until, after a few minutes, a few Masons arrived. Set up required bringing in a few boxes and figuring out the logistics of utilizing the limited available space.

The CHIPS Program provides parents with identification records for their children, in case something should happen. A dental group took DNA samples and tooth impressions. The Masons used three computer set ups to record fingerprints, movie, and photo of each child, the results of which were burned to CD. I was going to train on the machines last week but then work looked to preclude my participation in this event. As it turned out, I did not work today, which is why I showed up. I missed the Breakfast last week for the same reason.

I assisted Jim (Senior Steward).  He entered the personal information into the computer while I explained things a bit and helped with the fingerprints. I also interviewed the children so that we could get a recording of their voices. I asked what I thought was a surefire question: what is your favorite television show, and many of the children said they didn’t watch television. What has become of this young generation?

Miss Massachusetts Teenager had her information saved. I think she was involved with another booth and came by to check things out. She wore her official sash and was very poised, as I guess one might expect. Other celebrities might have attended.

A 6 month old boy was put through the ringer. He had a ball. He grinned at me the whole time. His mother helped apply his finger to the scanner, which proved to be a challenge. He was having fun with everything, plus his fingers were tiny. Never did get his smaller fingers.

I appreciate the opportunity to do something like this. The point of Freemasons is to gather as friends and brothers. They do $3 million a day in charitable work in North America, which is a bonus to the brotherhood. I think the Blood Drive is today, but I do not think I can do it today. Tuesday is the next regular meeting.

No comments: